Consultant in Vascular & Endovascular Surgery
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Gloucestershire Hospital NHSFT
- £84,559 - £114,003 Per annum
- 12/12/2021 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
GLOUCESTERSHIRE HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST
SUBSTANTIVE CONSULTANT IN VASCULAR AND ENDOVASCULAR SURGERY
Applications are invited for 2 posts of Substantive Consultants in Vascular and Endovascular Surgery based at Gloucestershire Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. This is an opportunity to join a busy, dynamic multidisciplinary team to help continually develop and improve the service that we provide to our population.
These are replacement posts for two of our full time substantive Consultant Vascular Surgeons and have a remuneration of 10 Pas, subject to negotiation. Fixed term positions will be considered for the right candidate.
Main duties of the job
The new appointees will join the 5 existing consultants (one of whom is a part time academic at the university of Oxford) and be expected to contribute to the delivery of a 24/7 emergency vascular rota as a consultant of the week, on a 1 in 7 basis. This is supported by a 1 in 6, 24/7 Interventional Radiology Rota. All inpatient operating is based at Gloucestershire Royal, with outpatient and day-case services spread across all three hospital sites.
Informal inquiries with respect to these posts should be directed towards the Mr David Cooper (Specialty Director Breast, Urology and Vascular) or Mr Richard Bulbulia (Clinical Lead and TPD Severn and Peninsula Deaneries).
Working for our organisation
We are a large organisation providing acute services from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital in Gloucester and Cheltenham General Hospital to a population of 652,475 in Gloucestershire as well as caring for patients from surrounding counties and beyond.
The Vascular Network also provides acute and emergency services for the population of Great Western Hospitals in Swindon and North Wiltshire (344,000).
Our workforce is almost 8,000 strong and our caring and dedicated staff are recognised as providing good and outstanding patient-centred, high quality emergency, elective and specialist care across a range of clinical areas.
We are committed to recruiting the best people to work with us to achieve our Vision of providing ‘Best Care for Everyone’ and our success depends on the commitment and dedication of our staff, many of whom are world leaders in healthcare, teaching and research. You could make a real difference to our patients’ lives by joining our team.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The purpose of these posts is to augment and support the Vascular service for the residents of Gloucestershire, Swindon and North Wiltshire. As a senior employee of the Trust the post-holder will work in close co-operation with, and support other clinical, medical professional and managerial colleagues in providing high quality healthcare to the Trust’s patients.
Integral to the responsibilities of the post are the following requirements:-
- To ensure the provision of a first class clinical service
- To provide effective leadership to all staff engaged in the specialty
- To sustain and develop teaching and research wherever appropriate
- To undertake all work in accordance with the Trust’s procedures and operating policies
- To conduct clinical practice in accordance with contractual requirements and within the parameters of the Trust’s and Division’s services plans
- To maintain the confidence of business plans and development strategies formulated for the specialty, the Surgical Division or the Trust.
The appointment to this post has the following aims:
- To join a team that provides comprehensive consultant-based, patient-centred management of vascular patients. The Trust is committed to providing equitable working conditions with colleagues for new appointments.
- To share in a comprehensive rota for emergency and elective vascular care
- To provide expertise and leadership within the Vascular Surgery Department of the Gloucestershire, Swindon and North Wiltshire Vascular Network based in Gloucestershire Hospitals. Including:
- Comprehensive management of acute and chronic limb ischaemia
- Open and Endovascular Aortic Surgery
- Specialist Diabetic MDT clinics
- Hot clinics for limb salvage and carotid assessment
- Peripheral Angioplasty
- Superficial and deep venous intervention.
- MDT attendance.
- Service development
- To contribute to the continuing development of the department’s clinical, research and educational interests. Appropriate additional duties would be incorporated into the post-holders job-plan after initial job-plan review.
- To contribute to the ongoing reconfiguration of Vascular Services in Gloucestershire.
The post-holder will be expected to contribute to a Consultant-led service.
The appointee will be expected:
- To share responsibility for the delivery of high quality care to the patients presenting to the department
- To examine and treat patients on the shop floor of the Department
- To support the clinical decision making of junior medical and nursing staff
- To provide on call support out of hours. To attend the Department out of hours as per agreed protocols. To remain contactable and available when on call
- To carry out ward rounds
Please see attached job description for further information
- Full General Medical Council registration.
- On Specialist Register for General Surgery via: CCT or CESR-CP (Combined Programme) (proposed CCT/CESR-CP date must be within 6 months of interview) CESR or European Community Rights
- Higher degree relevant to the specialty
- Teaching qualification Management/Leadership qualification
- Ability to offer an expert clinical opinion on specialist problems in Vascular Surgery
- Ability to offer an expert clinical opinion on the breadth of Vascular surgical conditions.
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Validated logbook indicating adequate and appropriate level of specialist Vascular and Endovascular surgical operative experience
- Training and experience in angioplasty and endovenous techniques
- Training and experience in renal access surgery
Management & Administrative Skills, Teaching & Research
- Evidence of participation in Audit and Clinical Governance Programmes
- Ability to manage and lead a surgical firm
- Ability to teach clinical and operative skills
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical and surgical problems
- Ability to appraise research critically and apply research outcomes to clinical and surgical problems
- Ability to supervise junior staff undertaking research projects
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mr David Cooper
- Job title
- Specialty Director Breast, Urology and Vascular
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 2222