Medical Laboratory Assistant Higher Level
- Band 3
- Flexible working - 0 hours per week
- £20,330 - £21,777 PA/PR
- 28/12/2021 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our team, in this busy, friendly department.
This exciting opportunity is for a Medical laboratory Assistant Higher position which is designed for support staff to demonstrate a greater technical ability in a specific area of the laboratory (Haematology, Immunology or Blood Transfusion). This role will suit someone who is able to work on their own initiative but also part of a team. It’s a chance to take more responsibility and ownership within the area you are allocated to. Hours to be agreed.
Main duties of the job
This is a short term bank appointment to support the BMS staff. The successful candidate should have strong IT skills and a background in working for the NHS
Working for our organisation
We are a busy, fluid environment comprising both support and technical staff. There is a great team spirit and prior to the current pandemic, we were a very social group. Staff are very inclusive and we appreciate our diversity. The days go quickly and there is always something to do!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The department is undergoing a series of IT related projects and requires support in their implementation as well as ongoing performance monitoring of existing systems. Key aspects include recording downtime and monitoring for trends, fault reporting and initial troubleshooting, regression testing and documentation.
- Evidenced numeracy and literacy and communication in English (GCSE English, Maths and Science)
- Experience (through placement or employment) of working in an NHS Blood Sciences department including rotation through Transfusion
- Able to prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate
- Personally resilient and able to manage complexity and work in a busy and time sensitive environment
- Able to maintain levels of concentration with an eye for detail
- Demonstrates organisational skills and apply to both time and workflow management
- Demonstrate good levels of communication with the ability to support training, explain and escalate issues and communicate with users of the service
- Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative.
- Conscientious with a desire and ability to maintain high standards of personal performance and inspire colleagues to do likewise
- Level 3 qualification in Medical Laboratory Sciences (NVQ level 3, level 3 apprenticeship, IBMS certificate of Achievement level 1)
- Experience of using a range of automated technology
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Joanne Goody
- Job title
- Deputy Laboratory Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 5288
- Additional information
Above telephone number is for Gloucester Royal Hospital.
0300 422 4060 - Cheltenham General Hospital