Cardiology Consultant (Imaging)
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- £84,559 - £114,003 per annum
- 16/08/2022 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
This post is for an Adult Consultant Cardiologist with an interest in Imaging. Candidates with another sub-speciality interest are encouraged to apply. The principal role of the post is to provide subspecialty skills in cardiac Imaging with a focus on echocardiography and transoesophageal echocardiography. Expertise in stress imaging is preferred. The post-holder would be expected to participate in the supervision of the trusts’ dedicated ‘valve clinic’, comprising a contemporary multidisciplinary one-stop imaging and clinical assessment.
The successful candidate would be expected to provide leadership for the echo department. Experience and accreditation in an additional modality of imaging is welcomed, with agreements in place to practice cMRI in a nearby trust and / or cardiac CT locally. Where appropriate, sessional commitments in other centres can be considered reflecting sub-speciality interest where these align with service development and delivery.
Main duties of the job
The principal role of the post is to provide subspecialty skills in cardiac Imaging with a focus on echocardiography and transoesophageal echocardiography. Expertise in stress imaging is preferred. The post-holder would be expected to participate in the supervision of the trusts’ dedicated ‘valve clinic’, comprising a contemporary multidisciplinary one-stop imaging and clinical assessment. Experience and accreditation in an additional modality of imaging is welcomed, with agreements in place to practice cMRI in a nearby trust and / or cardiac CT locally. Where appropriate, sessional commitments in other centres can be considered reflecting sub-speciality interest where these align with service development and delivery. This may include a research interest, particularly where this can be linked to the proposed Post -graduate Medical School development.
The post-holder will share responsibilities with his/her fellow cardiologists at CGH and GRH for the provision of inpatient care within the 'cardiologist of the week model', acceptance of referrals, outpatient clinic provision and appropriate imaging and reporting duties.
Working for our organisation
The Cardiology service line is composed of a multi-disciplinary team covering 2 acute sites. We are a busy service line with strong leadership at clinical and non-clinical level. Our ethos is one of a strong sense of direction for our speciality, having a clear idea of what we wish to achieve over the coming years; the post holder will form a vital part of this. The Cardiology medical team is made up of 13 full time consultants, 2 part time consultants, 1 associate specialist and a team of speciality doctors, clinical fellows & deanery registrars
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
As a senior employee of the Trust the post-holder will work in close co-operation with and support other clinical, professional and managerial colleagues in providing high quality healthcare to the Trust’s patients.
Integral to the responsibilities of the post are the following requirements:-
- To ensure the provision of a first class clinical service
- To provide effective leadership to all staff engaged in the specialty
- To sustain and develop teaching and research wherever appropriate
- To undertake all work in accordance with the Trust’s procedures and operating policies
- To conduct clinical practice in accordance with contractual requirements and within the parameters of the Trust’s and Division’s services plans
- To maintain the confidence of business plans and development strategies formulated for the specialty, the Medical Division or the Trust.
Please see attached Job Description for detailed information
- Current entry (or within 3 months of interview) on GMC Specialist Register via CCT (proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview), CESR
- MRCP (or equivalent)
- Higher degree
- ALS provider/instructor
- Wide experience in general adult cardiology.
- Sub-speciality interest and accreditation in Echocardiography
- Sub-speciality interest in another/complementary area of Cardiac Imaging or Cardiology
Audit and Evidence based practice
- Experience in devising, conducting and applying audit results
- Training in evidence-based practice
Management & Admin Skills
- Willing and able to work with colleagues in management, nursing and other specialities to ensure the delivery of a high quality, safe and reliable service
- Familiar with clinical governance principles.
- Experience of clinical governance in action
- Experience of protocol/pathway development and change management
- Must have experience of teaching many grades and professions
- Practical experience in teaching posts or educational training.
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical problems
- Interest in clinical research & development
- Publication in refereed journals
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Richard Bond
- Job title
- Consultant Cardiologist
- Email address
- Telephone number