Registered Nurse -Cardiology, Band 5
- Band 5
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Gloucester, Cheltenham
- £25,655 - £31,534 pa
- 21/08/2022 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
We are delighted that you have shown an interest in this position, we are currently facing exciting times ahead as two cardiac wards across site merge into one at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. At present we have an 8 bedded Coronary care unit and 17 beds which is soon to almost double.
Do you have a passion for delivering excellent care? Are you career minded with motivation, drive and enthusiasm? Do you enjoy playing a key role within the multidisciplinary team in acute care? Can you make everyone feel welcomed, respected, cared for and reassured that they are always in safe hands because you are communicating clearly and offering excellent person centered care? If your answer is yes to all of these questions then you are just what we are looking for on our Coronary Care/Cardiology Ward. Come and join our wonderful team.
Main duties of the job
A Registered Nurse who will deliver compassionate, professional, skilled and effective person centred, evidence based nursing care. The candidate will work within a multidisciplinary team, developing collaborative, needs based care plans through assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation .
We offer a friendly working environment with a compassionate team who will support your individual learning needs to develop you as an effective staff nurse, which includes:-
*We offer an in house induction package specific to cardiology.
* ECG work shops for starters and advanced
* Coronary Care Course
* Acute Care Course
* Opportunity to participate/Observe cardiac procedures/interventions
Working for our organisation
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the largest employer in the county and with over 8,000 staff, we are one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK. We offer a generous annual leave allowance, excellent bank rates, access to the excellent NHS Pension Scheme, discounts for local shops, restaurants and services, access to our health and well-being hub, access to our two on-site nurseries, flexible working options, discounted public transport, reward and recognition schemes, exercise and activity classes and membership to our popular hospital choir.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
KEY RESULT AREAS
• Demonstrate ability to assess patient condition and implement appropriate care, within the multidisciplinary team.
• To communicate effectively, especially where patient ability to do so is compromised.
• Ability to disseminate contentious and delicate information appropriately.
• To deliver safe care within a challenging and changing clinical environment, using equipment and resources safely and as appropriate.
• To administer medication and treatment within Procedure for the Ordering, Prescribing and Administration of Medication Guidelines.
• To deliver and receive information which may cause emotional distress to all parties.
• Participate in mentorship and educational programmes for students and other members of the team.
• To adhere to all Trust policies and procedures and professional code of conduct.
• Regularly responsible for the supervision and mentorship for unqualified, qualified staff and students.
• To input and retrieve patient and staff information from computer based systems.
• Maintain accurate and contemporaneous patient records.
COMMUNICATIONS AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
• Multidisciplinary team.
• General Public.
• Community Support Services.
• Education Organisations.
• Other wards, Diagnostic services and departments within Trust
• Site management team/IDT/Therapists
• Cardiac/stroke specialist nurses
• Hartpury suite/Angiography suite
• Tertiary Centres – JRI, Bristol BHI
• Ambulance control
MOST CHALLENGING PART OF YOUR JOB
• Ability to work under pressure and effective time management.
• Dealing with difficult situations/people.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Will be required to work within recognised Manual Handling guidelines.
• May be expected to frequently manoeuvre patients/objects over 15kg using appropriate aids for short periods of time.
• Will have frequent exposure to unpleasant working conditions and will be required to follow Policies and Procedures pertaining to bodily fluids, infection control and COSHH/Sypol regulations.
• May be required to work in confined spaces.
• Ability to work where the work pattern may be unpredictable, but there is also a requirement for concentration e.g. drug rounds.
• Exposure to radiation when assisting with specific cardiac procedures – pacing room
- Registered Nurse with the Nursing and midwifery Council.
- Minimum 6 months experience post registration
- Experience (through placement or employment of working in an acute environment)
- Experience of working with patients with a cardiac condition
Knowledge / Skills
- Knowledge of cardiac interventions/procedures
- Venepuncture/cannulation skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Elizabeth Moyse
- Job title
- Senior Sister
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 8268