Central Booking Office Advisor - Band 2
- Central Booking Office
- Band 2
- Full time
- Part time
- Pullman Court
- £18,546 - £19,918 pa pr
- 05/12/2021 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
The Central Booking Office currently has a number of positions available for an Appointment Booking Officer. We are currently located in Pullman Court, Great Western Road, Gloucester.
The team plays an important role for clinics across the county, reducing waiting times and enabling patients to be seen in the venue of their choice. They also ensure efficient use of clinic capacity and ensure that target wait times are met. There is no face to face patient contact but a large proportion of the work requires communicating with patients on the phone and this presents a valuable opportunity to answer queries and concerns and thus to ease any anxieties which patients may have about coming to hospital.
Main duties of the job
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients or other service users, provide information on a range of issues relating to their referral or appointment. The majority of this will be over the phone in a call centre type environment
- Respond to queries from colleagues or other staff relating to the clinic booking, via email/telephone/in person
- Ability to work with the well-established booking office guidelines and procedures, seek support from the booking office supervisors where necessary
- Intermediate IT skills and the ability to adapt with the IT systems used by the Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. This will include various systems to be used alongside each other
- Deal with the Central Booking Office’s admin tasks in line with guidelines and processes.
- To be familiar and work to the Trust’s policies and procedures such as confidentiality and security of data
Working for our organisation
- This post reports to the Booking Office Supervisor
- To support the booking office team in carrying out the booking functions on the day to day basis
- Optimise the use of available clinic slots and accommodate cancellation requests within the agreed timescale
- CBO currently have 100+ staff
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- The main role of the outpatient booking officer is to answering inbound calls from patients and other service users. Following the Trust’s guidelines and confidentiality policies.
- The outpatient booking officer will also be assisting the booking officers with the admin processes associated with clinic bookings.
- Provide an effective and efficient administrative support to the Central Booking Office (CBO)
KEY RESULT AREAS
- To answer all incoming calls from patients, staff and other healthcare professionals. Ensure issues are escalated in a timely manner to the most appropriate team or supervisor following department processes.
- Booking patients into clinic slots, making changes to their existing appointment if required or cancel as requested ensuring the relevant letter is sent to the patient.
- To manage the manual referrals coming to the booking office by post and add them to Trakcare within in the agreed timescale
- To support the Booking Specialists in maximising the slot utilisation.
- Follow the Trust’s patient access policy to ensure patients are booked appropriately.
- To support the Booking Specialists in cancelling clinics at short notice and telephoning patients to inform
- Deal sensitively with any concerns or issues raised by patients and provide a high level of customer support
- To liaise with medical records where appropriate to ensure notes are available for patient’s clinic appointments
- To complete a large range of complex admin tasks selecting the appropriate process and following them accurately and efficiently
- Processing ERS transfers following various processes dependent upon the speciality
- Action clinicians triaging comments by selecting relevant services and sending details to patient to book appointments online
- Using various IT systems simultaneously. These include ERS, trakcare, excel.
- Training new staff in the full Booking Assistant role including competencies sign off and escalating any issues with training to the supervisor
- Identifying issues with both internal processes and external changes that impact the work of the CBO, escalating to the relevant staff members
COMMUNICATIONS AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Booking officers
- Booking office supervisors
- Lead supervisors
- Booking Services Manager
- CBO General Manager
- Departmental Management teams
- General practitioners and other external service users
- Admin staff
MOST CHALLENGING PART OF THE JOB
- Dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Dealing with aggressive and frustrated patients on the phone
- Fluctuations in workload and high levels of concentration required.
- Deal with the changing priorities ensuring 100% accuracy
- The need to concentrate for long periods of time; dealing with demand driven workload in a busy, distracting environment.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Balancing the increasing demands of the Government targets with the Consultant’s clinical decision
- Constant interruptions
- Prolonged use of computer (VDU) and telephone on a daily basis with attention to detail required ensuring accurate and complete data entry. Will be sat at desk for entire day.
- Dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Working in limited office space
- Working in warm conditions during the summer months
•Please note there is no lift in our building and our team is based on the first floor via stairs
- • Evidence of basic schooling/Education (GCSE) with English, Mathematics or Equivalent
- • Professional customer care skills equating to NVQ level 3
Skills & Attributes
- • Good communication skills, written and verbal
- • Good IT skills and proficiency in Microsoft office
- • Excellent organisational skills
- • Keyboard skills equivalent to RSA3
- • Experience and knowledge of working within a call centre environment
- • Ability to learn various IT systems and use them alongside each other
Aptitude & Personal Qualities
- • Flexible approach to working arrangements
- • Ability to concentrate and manipulate information for long periods of time
- • Proactive approach to working
- • Calm, with empathy and compassion
- • Ability to follow complex processes
Experience & Knowledge
- • Experience of working in customer care/call centre environment
- • Ability to work as a part of a multidisciplinary environment
- • Knowledge of medical terminology
- • NHS experience
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Kirsten Etheridge
- Job title
- See Below
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 4582
- Additional information
Contact job title: Central Booking Office Supervisor – Telephone and Administration team