Service Desk Analyst
- IT Department
- Band 5
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Victoria Warehouse
- £25,655 - £31,534 PA
- 05/12/2021 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
The Countywide IT Service provides IT Services to NHS Organisations and their Partners across Gloucestershire.
We seek an enthusiastic and energetic individual with integrity who has excellence and innovation key to their values. Courtesy and Collaboration are vital components of our service delivery.
The successful candidate will provide technical support in areas of service delivery, ensuring continuous improvement to services supporting business continuity.
The service desk environment is an extremely busy environment, the candidate will need to ensure that all incidents are logged with a high level of data accuracy and that Incidents are monitored and escalation procedures invoked where necessary. This will include regular communication to customers to support continual service improvement.
A background in IT and Service desk role is desirable. Skills should include excellent communication skills a sound knowledge of Microsoft products and an interest in solving problems.
Main duties of the job
The key responsibilities within this role are:
- Provide a first point of contact for all IT issues
- Work within Trust and department guidelines, policies, practices and procedures
- Logging faults to our incident management system, maintaining a very high level of data quality, speed and accuracy
- Resolve a variety of incidents using software that connects to remote systems
- Provide users with realistic expectations in line with our Service Level Agreements and ensure that clients are aware of progress of incidents raised.
The following key skills are required:
- Proven, effective communication skills
- Methodical, analytical, calm, self-motivated and confident demeanour, with the ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Experience of delivering services under SLA and/or project based conditions
The following skills are desirable:
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical information
- Advanced keyboard skills
Knowledge of ITIL Frameworks and best practice
Working for our organisation
The service Desk is a team of 13 staff who support Hospitals Trust, GP and CCG staff across Gloucestershire.
The team work independently and resolve 50% of calls at First line, following knowledge articles and guidance provided. The team also have a senior member of the team on hand daily to respond to any urgent escalations/questions. The team keep in regular contact using MS Teams video calls and chat functionality.
On a daily basis we see around 300 phone calls to the service desk each day, we then process a high volume of email and self-service requests on top of that. The team have a rota in place to share these tasks out allowing variety to the day to day role.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Provide a first contact for all IT issues. All requests to be handled in a responsive, professional and customer oriented manner to support the image of an effective front line service to the Trust’s client base.
- Logging faults to our incident management system (TOPDesk), maintaining a very high level of data quality, speed and accuracy. Post holder is required to carry out direct technical support tasks where skill levels and time allows.
- Required to make technical changes to systems where appropriate to maintain continuity of service. This includes knowledge of clinical systems which have a direct impact on patient services.
- Resolve a variety of incidents using software that connects to remote systems, using own initiative whilst considering any Trust wide implications and impact their action may have on clinical systems and services.
- The post holder will often have to work to meet client time constrains, requiring the post holder to perform rapidly, calmly and confidently often to conveying complicated and complex instructions the user, in order that resolution to certain problems are solved instantly.
- On a daily basis, monitor the trust service management system (TOPDesk), tasks where unresolved jobs are identified and the post holder will decide to resolve themselves or escalate for resolution, depending on the complexity of the problem.
- Provide users with realistic expectations in line with our Service Level Agreements and ensure that clients are aware of progress of faults to both personally used and Trust wide systems.
- The post holder is required to switch concentration between a number of different information systems whilst resolving problems. Interruptions are constant throughout the day, resulting in plans being altered at a moments notice.
- Work within Trust and department guidelines of policy, practice and procedure. The post holder is expected to comment on changes in policy within the IT Services department were they to be required. Examples include Data Protection, IT Security Policy and Disaster Recovery policies.
- To produce technical documentation for all members of the IT department. For example additions to the technical knowledge base.
- Remain professional and keeping calm when having to defusing situations involving irate, verbally aggressive users who are frustrated with the service provided by technicians and/or service desk staff.
- Initial diagnostic service performed when information is being provided by users with very little knowledge and understanding of PCs.
- Dealing with the more in depth IT issues that high end users come across.
- Activities may impact directly on patient care. Faults may be with patient systems, and networks that will constrain users from carrying out their clinical care.
- ITIL Foundation certificate (or equivalent)
- Recent experience in 1st line support role, including installation and configuration services
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical information
- Working knowledge of IT hardware and software in a support context
- Ability to use own initiative
- ITIL v3 Qualification
- Previous experience of working in an IT support role in the NHS
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Leia Pennell
- Job title
- Service Delivery Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 2808