Free Standing MLU - Band 7
- Band 7
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Gloucester Royal Hospital
- £40,057 - £45,839 PA
- 09/12/2021 23:59
Join us at an exciting time for Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust! We have recently been awarded an improved CQC rating of Good and are proud of what we’ve achieved. We have an ambitious plan for our journey to Outstanding and are looking for aspirational, committed individuals to join us, making a real difference to both staff and patients.
As a former winner of England for excellence award: Tourism destination of the year, the beautiful city of Gloucester and the scenic regency spa town of Cheltenham are fantastic places to work and live.
As a hospital Trust we are currently involved in over 100 clinical trials and studies, whilst also providing acute elective and specialist services to a population of over 620,000.
By joining Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust new colleagues can look forward to a warm welcome and a future full of opportunities and support.
Midwifery Team Leader for Free Standing MLU - Band 7.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Team Leader to work in one of our celebrated free-standing Midwifery Led Units in Gloucestershire; leading a team in our continued journey to outstanding midwife led care.
Are you passionate about providing safe, effective and personalised care within a dynamic midwifery unit? This position is open to experienced midwives who are passionate about offering and advocating for Midwifery Led Care. You will be expected to meet the challenge of leading a team to deliver high standards, ensuring that every woman’s journey to motherhood is an individualised experience
Main duties of the job
In partnership with women/birthing people you will provide clinical leadership for the MLU.
You will manage a team of midwives and maternity care assistants.
You will form part of the team of birth unit Band 7s working closely and in partnership with the other MLUs in Gloucestershire.
You will need to demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills and hold a dynamic passion for promoting midwifery led care; this will include support the national Better Births agenda and continuity teams.
You will be required to work effectively with the wider MDT and ideally demonstrate experience of working effectively with other agencies to improve care for birthing women and have knowledge of Maternity Voices Partnership and other service user agencies.
You will be able to manage complex situations and possess good negotiation and advocacy skills.
Working for our organisation
The Core team at the free-standing midwifery-led unit are a group of experienced midwives with a skill set developed to support optimum midwifery led care whilst enjoying the ability to also work within our high risk obstetric unit. The team shares an ethos of personalised, empathic and respectful care provision where every woman and family is treated with dignity. The team is supported by outstanding maternity support workers and domestic housekeepers. The unit has close links with both UWE and Worcester universities. We are proud to continue supporting our midwives of the future
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To have 24 hour responsibility for leading, developing and coordinating the clinical, managerial and educational requirements for an integrated team of midwives and support workers.
To ensure the delivery of high quality evidence-based midwifery care, monitoring and maintenance of standards in accordance with the UK Law, Nursing and Midwifery Council’s The Code (2018), alongside Trust and EU Guidelines and providing assurance to the senior management team.
To have a strong understanding of the governance required to ensure that the MLU is providing safe and high quality woman centred care.
To be competent and confident in all areas of midwifery practice and act as an expert resource in low-risk antenatal care, normal birth and postnatal care, able to advise other midwives and junior medical staff in clinical matters.
To work in cooperation with other Team Leaders and the wider multidisciplinary team to coordinate use of resources across the service.
To represent the MLU at senior meetings and foster a culture of innovation and quality improvement within your team.
To deputise for the birth unit Matron.
To effectively support and manage up to 3 continuity teams.
- Registered midwife with NMC
- Extensive experience in variety of settings
- Sign-off mentor/Practice Assessor
- Further experience and knowledge of Birth Unit/midwifery-led practice
- Awareness and experience of research and audit
- Awareness and understanding of risk and clinical governance
- Able to act as lead resource for staff and service users
- Understanding of ethics, UK law, NMC standards
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for innovation and delivering change
- Awareness of inclusivity for LGBTQ+ and BAME in maternity
- Excellent clinical skills e.g. cannulation, perineal repair, managing emergencies, supporting physiological birth
- Basic IT skills and TrakCare Competent
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Teaching and aiding development of staff
- High level of self-motivation and flexibility in approach and attitude
- Flexible and adaptive approach
- Emotional intelligence and adaptive leadership
- Enthusiasm for and demonstrable experience in for evidence-based and woman-centred care
- Management qualification or willing to undertake
- NIPE qualification
- Leadership qualification – i.e. Edward Jenner
- Quality Improvement project
- Experience in leading clinical teams
- Experience in dealing with complaints and adverse clinical incidents
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Annie Lester
- Job title
- Interim Matron for Midwifery Led \Care
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 03004 226368