Catering Assistants - Band A
- Band A
- Full time
- Part time
- Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust
- £18,333 - £19,638 PA/PR
- 15/12/2021 23:59
GMS provides the estates, facilities, sterile services and materials management services for the Trust. We provide services such as clinical equipment management, provision of facilities services such as catering, domestics, portering and linen, manage the construction and development of new and existing healthcare buildings and manage the building, engineering and grounds services.
GMS aims to provide a best value customer service which ensures a safe, compliant and sustainable environment, and that supports our customers to be efficient and effective in patient care.
A great opportunity has arisen to join our professional catering teams at Gloucestershire Hospitals. Each year, our hard working staff prepare, cook and serve over a million meals for patients, staff and visitors from our production kitchen.
The role of the catering assistant is to ensure that patients, staff and visitors are provided with an efficient food and beverage service delivered in a polite and courteous manner. We want people who are passionate about food and as equally passionate about delivering excellent customer service.
Main duties of the job
- Preparation for service, portioning and presentation of meals, checking for Special Diets and liaising with nursing staff to ensure high standards are achieved consistently.
- To undertake general cleaning duties within catering department and associated areas, following safe systems of work and achieving agreed standards
- To wash up cutlery, crockery, utensils, equipment and containers, ensuring a clean and safe food and beverage service is available at all times
- Provide good customer service and build good relationships with our customers, greet customers and approach them in a way that is natural and fits the individual situation
Hours of work- 12.00- 20.00 or 16.45-20.00 Monday to Sunday
Vacancy 1 = 30 hours per week
Vacancy 2 = 25 hours per week
Vacancy 3 = 16 hours per week
Vacancy 4 = 14 hours per week
Vacancy 5 = 10 hours per week
Working for our organisation
GMS is a forward looking and enterprising organisation with a clear vision for the future of delivering high performing services with a focus on continuous improvement. Our 720-strong team are responsible for developing, maintaining and operating those facilities to support the needs of our staff and customers, and to achieve GMS’s vision.
We provide essential facilities management and estates services to Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, ensuring a high quality environment for the benefit of staff, visitors and patients. Specialising in healthcare, we have a deep understanding of the sector and what is required to keep non-clinical operations running smoothly, now and in the future.
GMS vision: Together, exceptional every day.
GMS values :
- excellence: we are proactive, enthusiastic and put the customer first in everything we do
- inclusive: we work as a team and value everyone’s contribution
- integrity: we are honest, principled and reliable
- listening: we are welcoming and are interested in other people’s thoughts and feelings.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Patient Meal Services
To be responsible for food and beverage services, prepare patients beverages and snacks and clearing up of patient’s beverage service in accordance to the work schedule.
Preparation for service, portioning and presentation of meals and beverages, checking for specialist diets and liaising with nursing staff to ensure the correct items are provided.
Prepare for washing up both at ward level or in the catering department, using chemicals and equipment following standard operating procedures and COSHH regulations
To be responsible for undertaking ward fridge temperatures and recording all the information accurately to ensure compliance with food hygiene legislation, and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points requirements (HACCP)
Communicate effectively with patients especially when completing beverage service and be aware of specific dietary requirements.
To report maintenance faults and building fabric issues to your Supervisor in accordance with local procedure.
To ensure patients privacy and dignity is maintained throughout your work
Provide good customer service and build good relationships with our customers, greet customers and approach them in a way that is natural and fits the individual situation
The post holder will have an understanding of all GMS products for sale, where they are located, brand names, place of manufacture and price.
Listen to customer feedback by listening to what the customer is objecting about, confirm the validity of the concern and offer a solution.
Operate cash register and alternative payment system in GMS retail areas, reconcile monies ensuring that standing operating procedures are applied and followed. Where appropriate to ensure the security of cash takings whilst at the same time not putting oneself at risk.
Clean and replenish the vending machines on a regular basis, suggest improvements to the service as trends change, completing all relevant documentation and sales information.
Report any sightings of pests or damage to the fabric of the buildings that could provide potential harbourage to pests.
To observe and comply with Food Hygiene & Health and Safety Regulations at all times. Also responsible for adhering to all GMS policies, procedures and guidelines as appropriate.
To wash up cutlery, crockery, utensils, equipment and containers, ensuring a clean and safe food and beverage service is available at all times
To undertake general cleaning duties within ward areas, catering department and retail areas, following safe systems of work and achieving agreed standards
Follow the correct use and care of equipment, reporting any damage, malfunction or maintenance requirements to the GMS help desk and advise the supervisor of action taken with documented information on the job number.
Qualifications / Experience
- Good level of english and maths
- Customer Service Skills
- The post holder must hold a clean and valid driving licence to drive 3.5 ton
- Ability to work to deadline and complete tasks
- Be physically fit
- Organisational Skills
- Communication Skills
- Ability to use initiative
- IT systems – Pay slip and information
- Microsoft Outlook – Email
- “Hands on” flexible approach
- Be able to work as part of a team for GMS and as part of a wider team working with others
- English GCSE Level 2
- Maths GCSE Level 2
- NVQ level in sales
- Retail skills NVQ certificate level 2
- NVQ 2 Warehousing and Storage
- NVQ customer services level 2
- Appropriate Food Hygiene Certificate (within 3 month of starting)
- The post holder must hold a clean and valid driving licence to drive 7.5 ton
- Use tills and difference payment methods (training will be given)
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mark Lane
- Job title
- Catering Operations Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 6438