- Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Gloucester / Cheltenham
- £25,904 - £32,022 pa pr
- 26/08/2022 23:59
GMS provides the estates, facilities, sterile services and materials management services for the Trust. We provide services such as clinical equipment management, provision of facilities services such as catering, domestics, portering and linen, manage the construction and development of new and existing healthcare buildings and manage the building, engineering and grounds services.
GMS aims to provide a best value customer service which ensures a safe, compliant and sustainable environment, and that supports our customers to be efficient and effective in patient care.
The GMS Wide ‘Project Administrator’ is the key link between the GMS front line team delivering domestic and housekeeping services and ward managers/matrons and department stakeholders. Holding the day-to-day responsibility for the Project of delivering the National Standards of Cleanliness (NSC) 2021 within domestic and housekeeping services at GRH & CGH. The GMS Wide Project Administrator will be expected to run the service within defined delegated authority. The post holder will assist the Facilities Manager (FM) in the improvement, development and implementation of change. The post holder will use business and operational skills to ensure that the service meets the required KPIs and performance standards. This role is to be a fixed term contract for the length of 12 months.
Main duties of the job
Support the business in the management and delivery of change in the domestic and housekeeping service by encouraging innovation, safe working, and staff involvement, through regular and effective communication, staff briefing and liaison, and building of relationships with staff at all levels to support the implementation of service change initiatives in their areas.
As an operational manager in GMS provide clear leadership, be a positive role model and actively promote both the GMS vision and strategic aims and values:
Encourage your team to take pride in what they do, improve the care and services they provide; and enable them to understand how they contribute to the success of the company
Show colleagues compassion and care by listening and offering empathy and understanding to help create a supportive workplace
Be alert to what is happening around you; and evaluate the information you hear, receive or discover to take actions and decisions that improve both patient and staff experience
Using the opportunity to link up with different colleagues, leaders and partners, building relationships that can help everyone to deliver effective and efficient service
Engage with your team - respecting every member of staff, valuing their diversity and making sure that every member of your team feels that their contribution is appreciated and valued
Hold yourself and others to account - be clear about what’s expected at work, giving honest feedback and acting quickly
Working for our organisation
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the largest employer in the county and with over 8,000 staff, we are one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK. We offer a generous annual leave allowance, excellent bank rates, access to the excellent NHS Pension Scheme, discounts for local shops, restaurants and services, access to our health and well-being hub, access to our two on-site nurseries, flexible working options, discounted public transport, reward and recognition schemes, exercise and activity classes and membership to our popular hospital choir.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
• To performance manage domestic and housekeeping service against departmental targets and a range of KPI’s, providing first line investigation and resolution of KPI performance issues on behalf of the FM.
• Be responsible for weekly/monthly cleanliness audits in line with NHS cleaning standards and ensure any failures are rectified within the agreed timescale, if required action plans are implemented sustain longer term improvements.
• Provide a weekly performance report to the FM to assist with the contract management of the service and provide the correct level of management information.
• Responsible for the day to day management of staff, including recruitment, personnel record keeping, induction, training and development to ensure that they can perform their duties effectively and safely. Manage staff attendance, grievance, conduct and performance issues in accordance with GMS policies and procedures.
• Have responsibility for recruitment and selection of domestic and housekeeping staff. Chair the selection panel, ensuring that appointments are made within GMS policies and procedures.
• To be responsible for ensuring adherence to Health & Safety regulations including COSHH, Handling & Moving, Infection Control and Food Hygiene to ensure a safe environment for patients and staff in accordance with Trust policies and procedures. Undertake risk assessments as necessary.
• Responsible for ensuring all staff attend mandatory training sessions in accordance with legislation and the GMS policies, including Fire Safety, Health & Safety, Manual Handling and Lifting, to reduce and ensure the health & safety of employees.
• Ensure that arrangements within the domestic and housekeeping teams are co-ordinated to ensure staff meetings are supported including arranging dates, preparing agendas, collating supporting papers, inviting other service representatives and preparing accurate notes and action plans.
• Working with GMS front line teams and operational colleagues to assist in the development and sustainability of a change in culture that will enable our teams to deliver excellent services and to achieve excellence in service delivery.
• Participate fully in appraisal and mandatory/statutory training and ensure that the domestic and housekeeping team are appraised on an annual basis and maintain up-to-date their training records.
• Ensure effective site business continuity and effective major incident plans are in place for the site domestic and housekeeping service, communicated out and understood/regularly reviewed.
• Be members of, and active participants in national specialist forums and associations. Networking and benchmarking best practices as appropriate.
FINANCIAL AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
• To be the site budget holder in respect of the role out of the National Standards of Cleanliness when performing against budget and mobilisation plan. Monitor and analyse pay and non pay expenditure to ensure effective use of GMS financial resources within the set budgets. Alert line manager of any deviation in expenditure and implement actions to mitigate impact of deteriorating budget.
• To have the authority to approve the monthly staff pay role, ensuring that all attendance records are recorded, identify discrepancies and process for payment.
• Maintain a set of master rosters and ensure the allocation and recoding of daily hours is up-to-date and completed on time.
• Have the delegated responsibility for purchasing equipment and materials for the domestic and housekeeping service and making process payments using the existing on line systems. Ensuring stock control systems are in place for economical, correct use and distribution of equipment and materials and audit recommendations are implemented.
• Provide detailed reports on the performance of pay and non-pay performance and compared against budget for the delivery of the National Standards of Cleanliness 2021.
• Analysis on the Service Delivery Performance when compared to the National Standards of Cleanliness 2021, this will include audit results and trend analysis of the overall performance of the service.
• Assist the FM in the management of domestic and housekeeping contracts, reporting KPI information to support the contract management process.
• Assist in the production and presentation of business cases, reports and briefing papers for GMS Senior Management Team meetings and other approval pathways.
PLANING AND ORGANISATION
• Maintain and effective communication strategy with staff using a variety for tools such as face to face meeting, briefing sessions and presentations, written communication, notice board, blogs
• Ensure all staff annual appraisal are planned in for the year and as part of the appraisal process training plans and personal development plans are in place for all direct reports and supervisors are trained to complete domestic and housekeeping staffs appraisal in a timely manner.
• Take the lead on specific projects and trials of equipment or service change including trials; engage staff and stakeholders in the technical aspects of the project or equipment purchase and have an understanding of any cost variations which could impact on the scheme
COMMUNICATION AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
• Engaging positively and effectively with senior colleagues across the corporate and operational areas of the organisation.
• Ensuring an appropriate and effective information flow between the Board, Committees and Groups.
• Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of staff across the organisation.
• Engaging with the whole workforce on matters relating to Service Delivery taking into consideration complexities of information available, adjusting approach using varied techniques to suit audience to achieve Service outcomes.
GMS staff GHT ward managers and department heads
Procurement Union representatives
Operational team managers
Health and Safety Manager
EFFORT, SKILLS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical skills Good keyboard skills are required and excellent IT and digital skills including Microsoft Office
Physical effort The post holder may be sat at a computer or in meetings for prolonged periods of time. This is already likely to require frequent travel between sites.
Walking the site during assessments, audits and inspections
Mental effort Concentration required for writing reports, attending meetings
Meeting with staff in HR meetings,
Monthly time sheets and budget work
Emotional effort Exposure due to staff and stakeholder management.
Giving staff bad news in resolving staff issues and managing expectations
Working conditions Frequent computer use. The post holder will be based in an office environment however there will be flexibility and travel to meetings across and away from sites.
Visiting clinical and non-clinical areas on the site, may come in contact with dirt and grime
- Educated to degree level or equivalent level of experience
- ILM Level 5 or equivalent
- Clear evidence of continual professional development
- Education and training award level 3
- Managing people
- Managing budgets
- To have experience in supervising the work of others and in providing training to colleagues.
- Supervisory/management experience
- Business planning and development
- Ability to achieve change where resistance is experienced
- Analytical skills and problem solving ability to resolve
- Able to prepare and deliver presentations and communication through presentations
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Able to work autonomously
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Steven Grantham
- Job title
- Head of Domestic Services
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 5676