Senior Retail Supervisor
- Part time - 20 hours per week
- Gloucester / Cheltenham
- £20,682 - £23,342 pa pr
- 17/08/2022 23:59
GMS provides the estates, facilities, sterile services and materials management services for the Trust. We provide services such as clinical equipment management, provision of facilities services such as catering, domestics, portering and linen, manage the construction and development of new and existing healthcare buildings and manage the building, engineering and grounds services.
GMS aims to provide a best value customer service which ensures a safe, compliant and sustainable environment, and that supports our customers to be efficient and effective in patient care.
To be responsible for the daily co-ordination, organisation and supervision of Catering Assistants working in the catering department
To liaise with other Catering Supervisors, Chefs and other department leads in order to provide and maintain an effective and efficient integrated catering service.
To provide cover across sites (CGH+GRH) during periods of staff absence/annual leave and assume daily operational responsibilities for designated elements of the post.
To work in close liaison with the catering management team to ensure that the staff and visitors dining rooms, vending facilities and hospitality delivers a high quality, consistent and efficient customer focused service.
Main duties of the job
To implement and maintain service as agreed with Catering Management. Supervise the daily activities ensuring department procedures and policies are followed. To ensure a high quality, consistent and efficient customer-focused service is maintained and solving day to day problems or escalating to management if not resolved.
work in co-ordination with Food & Beverage Manager to organise and implement merchandising and marketing plans for the retail offer in the on site retail outlets for staff and visitors, hospitality and vending service.
Ensure that portioning and presentation of meals is to agreed departmental standards and ensure cost reducing techniques are applied to the business consistently without compromising quality and service.
Working for our organisation
GMS is a forward looking and enterprising organisation with a clear vision for the future of delivering high performing services with a focus on continuous improvement. Our 720-strong team are responsible for developing, maintaining and operating those facilities to support the needs of our staff and customers, and to achieve GMS’s vision.
We provide essential facilities management and estates services to Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, ensuring a high quality environment for the benefit of staff, visitors and patients. Specialising in healthcare, we have a deep understanding of the sector and what is required to keep non-clinical operations running smoothly, now and in the future.
GMS vision: Together, exceptional every day.
GMS values :
1. excellence: we are proactive, enthusiastic and put the customer first in everything we do
2. inclusive: we work as a team and value everyone’s contribution
3. integrity: we are honest, principled and reliable
4. listening: we are welcoming and are interested in other people’s thoughts and feelings.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
1. To implement and maintain service as agreed with on site Catering Manager. Through on site supervisors supervise the daily activities in Retail ensuring department procedures and policies are followed. To ensure a high quality, consistent and efficient customer-focused service is maintained. Sorting out day to day problems or reporting to management if not resolved.
2. To ensure all staff complete control documentation correctly and take corrective action when non-compliance occurs.
3. To provide cover for the Retail coordinator on other site (CGH GRH) during period of absence and assume daily operational responsibilities for designated elements of the post.
4. In co-ordination with Food & Beverage Manager (F&B) organise and implement merchandising and marketing plans for the retail offer in the on site retail outlets for staff and visitors, hospitality and vending service.
5. Prepare reports to update F&B manager on income sales mix to aid future development and marketing strategies.
6. Ensure financial discrepancies are investigated and reported to Site Manager.
7. To minimise the adverse financial effects caused by food wastage, liaising with other section leads where necessary.
8. Ensure that portioning and presentation of meals is to agreed departmental standards.
9. To ensure cost reducing techniques are applied to the business consistently without compromising quality and service.
10. Liaising with the stores supervisor organise and oversee the requisitioning of stores for retail outlets. Report any discrepancies to the Site Manager.
11. To maintain, facilitate and enhance good working relationships between other departments which interact with the Retail service. Attend meetings as agreed with the Site Manager.
12. Hold staff meetings as directed by Site Manager.
13. At the direction of the Site Manager investigate complaints and prepare a response.
14. To co-ordinate with the Site Manager the level and skill mix of staff for each area in line with agreed labour costs. Including the allocation of hours to bank staff, ensuring cover is obtained for sickness absence or annual leave to ensure adequate staffing levels are maintained
15. At the direction of the Site Manager undertake as a panel member recruitment and selection of staff adhering to Trust recruitment and employment policies.
16. Prepare authorise and submit weekly payroll returns and keep records using departmental format for sickness, annual and special leave.
17. To investigate and implement disciplinary procedure to authorised level in consultation with the Site Manager.
18. At the direction of the Site Manager ensure new and existing employees get the required supervision and training until their required standard is achieved. Use professional experience to identify training and staff support to improve the work performance of team members.
19. To carry out individual performance reviews with retail staff at the direction of the Site Manager, including return to work interviews and managing absence and disciplinary up to first level disciplinary.
20. To ensure that all staff follow good working practices relating to Health & Safety and complete Incident Forms as per Trust Policies and Procedures.
21. Be responsible for reporting to the Maintenance Department mechanical defects and needs for repair, ensuring calls are recorded in maintenance log.
22. To assist in the preparation of Risk Assessments for Catering Services.
23. To undertake training as identified in IPRs.
24. Ensure the handling and security of cash from cash registers, vending and hospitality, ensuring procedures comply with the Trust’s Standing Financial Procedures. To notify the Site Manager of any discrepancies relating to security of stock.
25. Effectively deal with any enquiries, requests or complaints from customers in a professional manner, highlighting problems to the Site Manager where appropriate.
26. Co-ordinate the cleaning of the retail areas, collating cleaning records ensuring they are completed.
27. Ensure temperature audit records are completed according to departmental guidelines and corrective action is taken as required.
28. To ensure that all staff under supervision maintain good standards of personal hygiene and wear allocated uniform, protective clothing and/or equipment.
29. To assist in or to complete audits of retail on a periodic basis. Implement corrective action if required.
- IT Skills
- GCSE Maths
- GCSE English
- NVQ 2 or equivalent in supervision
- level 2 Food safety certificate
- To have an understanding of a customer focused service
- Daily co-ordination, organisation and supervision of other staff
- Ability to build up team spirit through leading by example, encourage positive ethos of customer service.
- Complete and control documentation correctly and take corrective action when non-compliance occurs.
- Portioning and presentation of meals is to agreed departmental standards.
- Sound and practiced oral, written communication skills
- Self starter and motivator to others
- Experienced and enthusiastic about customer service
- Good organisational skill to include problem solvingSound and practiced oral written communication skills
- Ability to work within departmental protocols and procedures including Conduct, and to ensure that colleagues also comply
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mark Lane
- Job title
- Catering Operations Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0300 422 6438